Monday, October 15, 2012

Kitchen .. Redo!

This is one of my favorite rooms.  I know there were many good meals cooked in this kitchen before me.  I was ready to attack it and make it my own.  I was ready to start my own memories.  

I started in the morning, taking off the cabinet doors, instead of cleaning the hardware, I decided to trash it and go with something new.  I cleaned the cabinets with Simple Green, sanded them, and cleaned them with alcohol.   I brush painted the doors, which was a bad idea.  I started that around 10 in the am and finished the next day, and that was even with the help of my friend, Heather, for three hours that evening.

The next day, my dad came to help me spray the cabinet bases.  That was much easier and made me really regret spending 8 plus hours painting with a brush.

Going from dark wood to bright white totally gave the kitchen a new look.  We bought bronze/black pulls and hinges (make sure you know which to get.. we got the wrong ones) and it really pulled it together.

Hint: If you have a lot of cabinet doors, MARK them so you know where they go when it's time to re-hang them.  Playing guess the cabinet is very frustrating! :)


Above is where we started. This picture shows about 2/3 of the cabinets... Way to many not to have labeled!

We purchased the faux tin back splash from Lowe's which were approximately $20 each, and the hinges and pulls were roughly $3.00 each. These pictures don't show pulls on the cabinet doors because they don't exist yet, our Lowe's was out of them and we haven't gone back to get more. :)

At first we thought that the yellowish counters would work until we found a tile we liked.  But while on one of our multiple trips to Walmart we decided to buy some Hammered spray paint and see what we could play with... which led to the below outcome...



Aged Bronze Hammered spray paint, $4.00 a can.  Looks amazing.  Bradly and I cleaned the tops, taped off the back splash and cabinets VERY carefully, sanded them, cleaned them with alcohol (we like cleaning with alcohol) and let loose about four cans on the counter tops.

I am VERY happy!!

...Update (01/02/2013)

I finally painted the remaining wall in the kitchen.  I had purchased a gallon of paint in the return section a few years ago and decided to use it on the half wall.  I thought it would be a silvery color, but it turned out much more green than I expected.  It's not bad.  I can live with it for now.




Thanks to Uncle Iryn, we finally got a refrigerator.  We were going to go with a white front older model that my dad had in storage, but we lucked into a newer, stainless front, and more energy efficient model.  I think it matches the tile back splash and looks amazing!


4 comments: